Get the Most Out of Your Cleanse
Enjoy these tips designed to help you get the best experience from your juice cleanse! The ultimate goal is to enjoy yourself while giving you body a healthy boost. You’ll be sipping delicious, organic juices and nut milks while giving your body a powerhouse of vitamins, minerals and nutrients – all while helping your body kick unhealthy eating habits (gummy bear taco pizza…). Below are ways you can optimize this delicious detoxification you’re about to experience, leaving you feeling great and your body thanking you.
Whether you’ve done more cleanses than you can count or it’s your very first, good preparation makes it a more enjoyable experience. A cleanse is intended to be a change from your daily eating routine, so the less drastic you make that change the better. Here’s a few things you can do to get the most out of your cleanse:
- Start eating greener and cleaner. The three days leading up to your cleanse try to avoid sugary and processed food and drink, alcohol, caffeine, meat, dairy, refined starches (bread, white rice and pasta), nicotine and sushi. We know that’s a lot – so you can sneak some fish or whole wheat pasta/rice and we won’t tell. 😉
- Drink lots of water. Over two-thirds of Americans don’t drink enough water (8-12 cups). Drinking water increases energy levels, promotes weight loss, flushes out toxins and boosts your immune system. Hydrate well before your cleanse.
- Don’t binge the night before. We’re not talking about Netflix – loading up on food the night before your cleanse will only make you hungrier the next day. We recommend a diverse, plant-based meal with things like fruits, greens, nuts and seeds the night before (see our menu for ideas).
Our team is here to help. If you have any other questions just contact us.
It’s cleansing time!
For a standard full cleanse (6 juices a day) you’ll only be consuming fresh, organic juices and nut milks for several days.
With a standard partial cleanse (3 juices a day) you’ll be consuming juices with light, plant-based meals in-between or until dinner – we recommend a hearty, plant-based meal.
Every Greenleaf juice contains two pounds of organic fruits and vegetables, so they are filling and give your body the vitamins, minerals, enzymes and nutrients it needs. Keep in mind that what you’re not eating during your cleanse (processed foods) is just as important as what you are.
Here are some tips for getting the best experience while your body is detoxes and re-energizes:
- Drink your juices fresh each day. Raw juice is most delicious when it’s as fresh as possible, so we recommend daily pick up or delivery.
- Keep drinking water. Drink lots of water throughout your cleanse to stay hydrated. You can mix it up by drinking hot water with lemon or even some carbonated water (with no sodium or sugar). Drinking water is a great habit to have and excellent for your skin. Avoid alcohol and caffeine.
- Don’t exercise too hard. We don’t recommend more than light training during your cleanse. It’s a good idea to take a break from your typical work out routine and just do some light walking or cardio. This is also a great time to do some yoga or get a massage.
- Rest up. Get lots of rest and let your body do it’s thing with the vitamins you’re feeding it so you can feel fresh and clean.
- Feel the difference. Everyone’s body detoxes differently as we all have different diets and chemistries. You might feel the effects of your body adjusting to the smaller portions of clean nutrients your feeding it, while simultaneously cleansing your system of toxins. Remember, you’re just consuming fresh, natural, organic fruits and vegetables as well as avoiding processed foods – that’s never a bad thing. Your body is adapting to good change.
Our juices are crafted to be filling and highly-nutritious, but if you are feeling totally wiped out or hungry and eat some fresh fruits, vegetables, nuts or vegetable broth. Listen to your body and enjoy!
You made it! Now what?
What you do after your cleanse is the most important part of the process. It may be tempting to reward yourself with a huge meal, but try not to overeat (overeating within 24 hours of your cleanse can also give you gas, so there’s a motivator for you). Here are some tips for getting the best results out of your cleanse:
- Start with plant-based meals. Especially for the first few days after your juice fast, try to eat salads, oatmeal bowls, quinoa bowls, soups, acai bowls and other plant-based meals. A raw, vegan diet is the best way to eat regardless, so the longer you can keep it going after your fast the better. Gently introduce
- Drink juices and smoothies. Continue getting your recommended servings of organic fruits and vegetables. Juices and smoothies make it easy.
- Avoid all processed foods. Do your best to avoid packaged or sugary foods and beverages.
- Eat small meals. As a best practice, try to avoid large meals and eat healthy snacks in moderation like nuts, sprouts and raw veggies in between. One of the greatest benefits of doing a cleanse is your body will not need as much food to feel full, so take advantage of that as long as you can.
We hope you had an enjoyable experience! If you had a good experience, we’d love hear about it. You can leave us a review at greenleafjuice.com/shop or Yelp. If you have any other questions, our team is here to help: contact us.